Thursday, August 8, 2013

Yep, this is Enough

Copelynn is now 3 months and a couple days old! Not only has she been growing and changing every single day, but I feel like I have been just as much as her, too.  It's like were on this journey of discovering new things and seeing what we like and don't like together. She gets to learn to sit up and grab toys and roll over and I get to learn to settle into my new "career" and role and LIFE as a stay-at-home mom.  

The first couple months of settling into this have been like trying on a rack of clothes in the dressing room---some things feel really nice and fit great, others are terrible and do not fit at all. It's been a process of trying it all out. In this stay-at-home mom sphere there is no lack of pressure to do things a certain way with my house, my cooking, my routine, my baby, etc, etc....but that is stressville you guys.  In the process of settling into this life at home with Copelynn I've had to learn to let all the chitter chatter from our culture and even people around me go and learn what I like and what I want our life to look like. 

One of the biggest things I've wrestled with is being just a stay-at-home mom. Like it isn't enough.  That kind of attitude is so prevalent in our society these days that I've found myself partly buying into the lie, too. Like I should have something else going on. I should have a part time job or be doing school or somethinnnggggg besides just being a stay-at-home mom.  Or else I'm "too wrapped up in my kids and am going to lose me" or I'm "that kind of woman who's okay with not having a career" or I'm "throwing good years for a career down the drain" or "how will it look when you want to get back into the work force." 

In the past three months, though, I've realized the beauty of what I get to do.  I get to raise my babies. Not someone else. I get to love on them and snuggle them and watch them discover the world all day everyday. I get to keep our house running. I get to hardly miss a beat with Copelynn. And I love it. I absolutely love it. 

So why then do I sometimes kind of believe that bull crap? I think because I was not yet aware of the importance of what I'm doing. Before I really grasped how important of a "job" this is, I felt like I needed something else to make me more productive or important at the end of the day. I even went as far to see if a local cloth diaper store was hiring, or If i could do something from home--or thought maybe I could work at Starbucks again.

Then after nothing was really coming through, it was like some dynamite broke through a brick wall in my head and heart one day....This is enough. I don't need something else to add to resume right now.  Staying at home with our kids is enough.  And this is my call right now. This is my domain. This is my importance. This is where I need to be.  I am thankful and privileged. And proud. That this is my job. 

I don't think I'll ever look back and think "why didn't I work more." I think I'll look back and say "thank God I could stay home with my babies." 

And who wouldn't want to look at this face all day?



PS: If you're looking for a good book about staying home, read The Stay-At-Home Mom Survival Guide by Melissa Stanton.

5 comments:

Little Bug said...

I was a stay at home mom for most of our kids growing up years too..and Ally, Kate, and Christie are all stay at home moms and i could not be any prouder! All of my girls, and you Aimee, have the most important and best paying job on the face of this earth! You are all blessed in that you can stay at home, that your husbands make enough money so an extra income is not needed. You girls are beyond blessed with your job of being a stay at home mom and I'm so proud of you all!

Baylee said...

You are definitely doing enough. I wish I could be a stay at home mom. We are due in a month with our first and the thought of someone else being with him while I work breaks my heart. Granted I will only be away from him 2 days a week.. but still. I think it's beautiful what you are doing and in my eyes the most beautiful job there is!!!! Kids need their mamas.

Katie Cook said...

Girl, this is beautiful! Our culture is so good into making us think we have to be doing more. But AMEN...raising and shaping and molding and loving your child will do more good to this world and eternity than anything else! Beautiful! Love ya!!! and ps- Copelynn is SOOOOOOO cute!

Roya Marie said...

I would give ANYTHING to stay at home with my little one. Don't ever think that it's not enough because it is the best job in the world to be a mommmy, and I promise you that I know tons of moms that would give the world to stay home with their kids as their career and daily job. I know I would.

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart. Yes, what you are doing and who you are as a woman, wife, mother and child of God is enough! I love you ♥