Thursday, April 11, 2013

Identity

Including today I have 14 work days left. FOURTEEN.
 
woah.
 
I've worked at Continuant for 2 years and 9 months.  It has been my life, 40 hours a week for 2 years and 9 months. This is the longest I've stayed @ one job in my whole life; way to go Aimee!  One of the questions in my interview with Starbucks back in 06 in my senior year of high school was "So I see you've had a good amount of work experience--but you haven't stayed at one place for too long. How will I know you won't do that here?" HAHA. I did get the job and worked there for a year and a half, until I moved to WA thank you very much. 
 
Anywho--its weird but I think I'm starting to have anxiety about how much my life is about to change! All I've known for so long now is full time work @ Continuant, working with my husband everyday, loving it, and now I will be full time stay at home mommy, not working with my husband everyday... And the unknown of that is scary sometimes! Can I do this? Will I like this? I can't imagine not staying home with Copelynn. But talk about a change of pace.
 
Two things came to mind while thinking about all of this:
Jesus' call on my life
and
My identity
 
Jesus' call on my life
Life changes, seasons come and go, jobs come and go; but Jesus' call on my life remains the same. I believe the call on every Christian's life is to love god, love people, and go make disciples. I'm not talking about that though. I'm talking about the specific call on Aimee Charnock's life. Not Zach's life, not my mom's life, not my dad's life. My life.
 
Those dreams and aspirations deep inside my heart. What makes me cry, what keeps me awake at night, what I am passionate about. What I'd do if I could do anything. That call.
 
Amidst the anxiety and fear that come with this huge life change, I can take comfort and confidence in the truth that That call remains the same--whether I work @ Continuant or am a stay at home mom.
 
That call doesn't go away and doesn't change just because I don't wake up and drive to work everyday.
 
My Identity
It's a struggle to remember that my Identity is rooted in Jesus--not in what I do. It's a real fear that I will forget who I am when I don't get up and go to the office everyday...and am at home in my yoga pants with dark circles under my eyes, rocking a crying baby, washing diapers, cleaning up spit up. But, the truth is that my Identity is not rooted in my vocation.  It is rooted in Jesus... who is the same yesterday today and forever. That is a firm foundation to stand on. That is an identity that can't get lost--even in spit up and baby clothes and snot.
 
 
And when I imagine what life might be like, what Aimee might be like, as I go from the full-time buiness professional world to stay at home mom--I really believe my Identity will become even richer and more defined. I really believe I'll become more of who Jesus has made me to be. I really believe I'll discover more of my passions and the desires of my heart. And I'm excited to embrace the next season of life that God has for me :)
 

6 comments:

Stephanie Dumm said...

ROFL I asked you that question at Starbucks! Aww I think you were the first person I hired on my own, too. Trust me some days you will miss your job, especially if you've been up all night or feel like your stuck in the movie ”Groundhog Day.” But I'd say 99% of the time you'll love staying home. But it is a huge transition.

Aimee said...

HAHAHAH OMG Steph you did!?!? That is so funny! I thought it was Dave! Aww what an interview for both of us :)

Good to know that you love it most of the time....that is mind-easing for me!

Stephanie Dumm said...

It might be a little easier for you, because I didn't go into it thinking it would be my new "job." I thought I'd be going back but it didn't happen that way. But I'm glad it didn't work out with work.

Mary said...

A heartfelt amen, Aimee! ♥

Nikole Opiyo said...

So beautiful. Love your thoughts on identity and calling. it is hard to separate your identity from what you do. But soon you will be a mommy and you will be called to daily love God, love your husband and be the best mama!

Aimee said...

Thank you Mom and Thank you Nikole!